CSE260 project: Making my own 7 segment display. :)

SSD, photo credit Wikipedia
According to wikipedia, a seven-segment display(SSD), or seven-segment indicator, is a form of electronic display device for displaying decimal numerals that is an alternative to the more complex dot matrix displays.
Seven-segment displays are widely used in digital clocks, electronic meters, basic calculators, and other electronic devices that display numerical information.

So, first thing first. I am sharing my experience how I have made my own seven segment display.

Step 01) I have download some images of seven segment display and printed them. After that I cut off the seven segment according to the printed copy shape. Here I have used 4 layers of cardboard and it is high enough for this display. Finally with some papers and glue I have made the case of the 7 segment display.
1) Printed copy                  2) Paper cutting                   3) LED position                   4) Case

 Step 02) In this step, I have mainly worked in circuit part. I have decided to make a common anode 7 segment display. That is why I have designed the circuit as down below. Furthermore, I souled every components, eg: resistors, LED, wire and so on. And finally put the circuit in the case that I have made in step 01.
Common anode SSD circuit diagram(photo credit University of HawaiĘ»i)

Step 03) This part is nothing but presenting the seven segment display. Here I have use a 7447 Decoder IC to display 0 to 9 by my own 7 segment display. My 7 segment display has 8 terminal. A to G is for the 7 segments and the another one is for the common anode. According to our decoder manual I have connected the 7 segment display and for different BCD value I have got different numerical number.

Connection Diagram


Different output
               

  So, finally my seven segment display was looked like this :)

Seven Segment Display
This terminals will be connected to the DECODER

Don't want to waste your time anymore. Before signing out, I want to give some information and resources to make your project easier(If you want to make). Don't forget t connect resistor between common anode and the Vcc. This a very serious matter, by the way.

Components to buy:
    01) LED diode
    02) 220 Ohm resistor
    03) 7447 decoder IC

Files:
    Click to download :-)


__MD. SAMIUL ISLAM

Comments